As the New Year is quickly approaching, we all spend time thinking about how we can improve ourselves in the upcoming year. From dieting, to increased exercise, we all dream of a better version of ourselves. Often it’s difficult to identify the steps we need to take to actually reach our goals. As the health craze bombards all of us in the New Year, many of us don’t always think of this one key goal—healthy skin. We all want it but with the overwhelming amount of information out there, it’s far from easy to know what to do. Follow these 7 easy steps to improve your skin this 2015!
- Add an eye cream to your skincare regime. The skin around the eyes is more fragile, more prone to dryness, and quicker to show age and fatigue. Squinting and constant movement of the eyes also hasten the appearance of lines and wrinkles, and fluids collect under the eyes and cause puffiness and dark circles. Fine lines and wrinkles come from both sun damage and your skin making less collagen as you age. Collagen helps maintain skin’s elasticity. Vitamin C, peptides, and retinol have can boost collagen production. Try our Firm and Protect Eye Cream to help moisturizer and help prevent water loss in the skin and improve elasticity.
- Wash your face once (or twice) a day, every day. Even if you don’t wear makeup, it’s very important to wash your face with a cleanser. It’s not just makeup you want to wash off. Facial cleansers remove makeup, pollutants, bacteria, and unwanted debris off of our face. If you’re skin type is normally dry, or a bit of a combination try our Gentle Foaming Cleanser. Oily or acne prone skin should start with our Medicated Foaming Cleanser.
- Protect your skin with an antioxidant serum (or cream). When it comes to caring for your skin, antioxidants can help to protect your skin from the damaging effects of the sun and the free radicals that some along with it. Unlike sunscreens and moisturizers, antioxidants can protect your skin from the inside out by guarding your cells from damage. Vitamins A, C and E and the mineral selenium are thought to be particularly helpful in skin care. In addition to helping fortify cells against free radicals, vitamins A and C also encourage cell and tissue growth, helping the body to repair itself. This is very healthy for the skin, which is constantly shedding and re-growing cells. For this reason, any antioxidants that protect cells and encourage cell growth could be helpful in an anti-aging regimen, as they may help fight fine lines and wrinkles. Try our Powerful Antioxidant Cocktail Serum, or our Powerful Antioxidant Cocktail Cream.
- Wear sunscreen everyday day, no matter the weather conditions. Are you wearing sunscreen right this minute? You probably should be. Even if you’re indoors, chances are there’s a UVA wave heading for your epidermis. If you think UVA is nothing to worry about, think again. A huge number of us do not apply sunscreen to our faces daily. It’s hard to understand, given that the humble sunscreen is hands down the most effective anti-ageing tool you can buy. Up to 90 per cent of aging is caused by external factors, the big one being sun exposure. Our sunscreen, Nature’s Veil SPF 30 with Antioxidants is a physical based sunscreen, perfect for your anti aging needs.
- Visit an esthetician for monthly facials. Even if your at-home regimen is working just fine, visiting an esthetician for a medical facial could completely change the way you view your complexion, no matter your age or skin care woes. An hour of one-on-one time creates an opportunity for the esthetician to provide professional advice skin tips and tricks. And, during the consultation, you have a chance to ask questions you may have. Part of getting a facial is learning how to care for your skin properly. Most importantly, this “lesson” will include which products or ingredients work best for your skin type and how to care for your skin at home so you can maintain the results of your facial.
- Drink more water. The fact is that skin is an organ, and just like any other part of the body your skin is made up of cells. Skin cells, like any other cell in the body, are made up of water. Without water, the organs will certainly not function properly or at their best. If your skin is not getting the sufficient amount of water, the lack of hydration will present itself by turning your skin dry, tight, and flaky. Dry skin has less resilience and is more prone to wrinkling. Try drinking eight 8oz glasses of water each day.
- Get enough sleep. Beauty sleep is real, it’s free, and it can start for you tonight. You’ve probably already noticed that when you skimp on sleep, it shows on your face. Tired skin sags, bags, and loses its luster. Lack of sleep causes blood vessels to dilate, causing the look of dark circle. Not enough sleep can also make you more stressed, and everyone can see that tension. Sleep well with 6-8 hours a night for healthy looking eyes and skin.
With the wealth of information out there about skincare, and skincare products it’s sometimes hard to know which steps are right for you. These 7 basic steps are essential for everyone, no matter your age, skin type, or lifestyle. For a more detailed skincare plan, book in for your consultation with our physician for an advanced skincare analysis, or meet our medical esthetician.
It’s a new year, better skin starts now. Contacts us today. Happy New Year from Dermaworks!