BOTOX® is one of the worlds most popular medical cosmetic treatment. About 20 million treatments are done worldwide annually using this nerve blocker. It is a purified protein injected into the muscles that is best known for treating fine lines and wrinkles, but it has some surprising medical uses as well.
- Migraines: Traditionally, migraine headaches have been difficult, if not impossible, to treat in some patients. They’re typically accompanied by a variety of unwelcome symptoms including dizziness, nausea, sensitivity to light, and vomiting. While doctors remain uncertain as to exactly how BOTOX® injections (typically injected into seven areas around the temples, forehead, neck and shoulders) really work to ease the symptoms, the prevailing theory is that it prevents pain signals from reaching nerve endings.
- Hyperhidrosis: BOTOX® is a fabulous treatment option for excessive sweating also known by its medical term, hyperhidrosis. It works by blocking signals the brain sends to sweat glands. BOTOX® injections are given in affected areas, such as the armpits, hands, feet or face with results typically lasting 8 months.
- Eye Twitching: Eye twitching is a repetitive, uncontrollable blinking or spasm of (usually) the upper eyelid. One common treatment recommended for a type of eye twitch called benign essential blepharospasm is BOTOX®. The treatment may relieve spasms for several months.
- Essential Tremor: Essential tremor is a nerve disorder causing uncontrollable shaking or tremors affecting different parts of the body. BOTOX® injections have been found to be effective for vocal and head tremors.
- Crossed Eyes: With strabismus, also known as crossed eyes or a squint, the eyes don’t look towards an object together. BOTOX® may be injected into one of the eye muscles as a treatment option, usually if a squint develops rapidly without an obvious cause. The injection weakens the injected muscle for a period of time, which lets the eyes realign themselves.
Over the years BOTOX® has proven to be much more than an appearance enhancing prescription drug. At Dermaworks Medical Aesthetics Clinic we only offer treatment for hyperhidrosis for the underarms. Should you suffer from the four other mentioned conditions you will be required to seek another provider. Contact us today with any questions, or to book your appointment!